By Bruce Fife, N.D.
Coconut oil has been used throughout Asia and the Pacific for thousands of years as both a food and a medicine. Even today it holds a highly respected position in the Ayurvedic medicine of India. Only recently has modern medical research confirmed the many health benefits traditionally attributed to this remarkable oil.
Once mistakenly thought to be bad because of its saturated fat content, coconut oil is now known to contain a unique form of saturated fat that actually helps prevent heart disease, stroke, and hardening of the arteries. The saturated fat in coconut oil is unlike the fat found in meat or other vegetables fats. It is identical to a special group of fats found in human breast milk which have been shown to improve digestion, strengthen the immune system, and protect against bacterial, viral, and fungal infections. These fats derived from coconut oil, are now routinely used in hospital IV formulations and commercial baby formulas. They’re also used in sports drinks to boost energy and enhance athletic performance.
What Coconut Oil Does Not Do:
- Does not increase blood cholesterol level
- Does not promote platelet stickiness or blood clot formulation
- Does not contribute to atherosclerosis or heart disease
- Does not contribute to weight problems.
What Coconut Oil Does Do:
- Reduces risk of atherosclerosis and related illnesses
- Reduces risk of cancer and other degenerative conditions
- Helps prevent bacterial, viral, and fungal (including yeast) infections
- Supports immune function
- Helps prevent osteoporosis
- Helps control diabetes
- Promotes weight loss
- Supports healthy metabolic function
- Provides an immediate source of energy
- Supplies fewer calories than other fats
- Supplies important nutrients necessary for good health
- Improves digestion and nutrient absorption
- Is highly resistant to spoilage (long shelf life)
- Is heat resistant (the healthiest oil for cooking)
- Helps keep skin soft and smooth
- Helps prevent premature aging and wrinkling of the skin
- Helps protect against skin cancer and other blemishes
Coconut oil has been called the “healthiest dietary oil on earth”. If you’re not using coconut oil for your daily cooking and body care needs, you’re missing out on one of nature’s most amazing health products.
For more details, you can purchase “The Healing Miracle of Coconut Oil” by Bruce Fife, N.D. from the Price-Pottenger Nutrition Foundation at www.ppnf.org.